A digital journey of my personal discovery of AT (Assistive Technology) and the people it helps.

“Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the known to the unknown.”

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 12: Your Power is Great

Today is the final day of class for this EDUC 5173 Assistive Technology course. Our final group assignment was to find inspiring videos to post to our blogs. Our group was given the deaf and hard of hearing as our general group.

The international Deaflympics organization has hosted summer games every four years since 1924, and winter games since 1949. The summer games were last held in 2009 in Taipei, hosted athletes from 81 countries, and featured competition in 20 different sports; the next summer games are scheduled for Athens in 2013. The winter games were last held in 2007 in 2007 and featured competition in 5 different sports; the next winter games are scheduled for Slovakia in 2011 and in Vancouver in 2015. More than 4000 athletes and 10,000 volunteers participated in the Taipei summer games, so the event rightfully lays claim as "among the world's fastest growing sports event".

The summer sports are:

Athletics
Badminton
Basketball
Beach Volleyball
Bowling
Cycling Road
Football
Futsal
Judo
Karate
Mountain Bike
Orienteering
Shooting
Swimming
Table Tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Volleyball
Wrestling Freestyle
Wrestling Greco-Roman

The winter sports are:

Alpine Skiing
Cross Country Skiing
Curling
Ice Hockey
Snowboard


If ever you are looking for an inspirational video to screen, have a look at this collage of highlights from the 21st summer games in Taipei. Consider the video's message as you watch the English subtitled clips.

"One person's strength is limited
But together as a family your power is great."






This is the final posting for this course. I registered for this course because "I came to know that I didn't know - anything!- about assistive technology" and that it was my time to learn. Well, I certainly learned LOTS about low tech assistive devices ranging from dice rollers to pencil grips to 101 uses of Velcro, and even lots more about high tech assistive technology. My eyes have been opened to the possibilities of using technology to improve students' performance and access to both learning and leisure, yet I am sure that we have just seen only the top portion of the berg that is AT.

There were so many firsts for me in this course:

  • I started my first-ever Blog, but I can't imagine that it will be my last Blog now that I've been bitten by the Blog Bug!
  • I got to use an iTouch and explore the iTunes apps store. I had to hide away my Visa so that I wouldn't impulsively purchase an iTouch and dozens of very useful apps. Now that I have waited a full two weeks, I can rationalize my need to buy this device - it's not an impulse buy if you wait two weeks, right?
  • I got the learn how to capture and edit video using Movie Maker. A LOT of my time was invested in this learning, so I plan to make a couple of videos for family and friends about my Wolfville days just to keep the skills in my brain.
  • I learned how to grab other people's YouTube videos to post into blogs and not have cumbersome hyperlinks and ever-increasing numbers of tabs open.
  • I figured out how to upload to YouTube to share videos, and I even uploaded to Google Docs.
  • I learned the basics of Boardmaker Plus software to create an interactive book - this skill will, no doubt, be used again and again as we move towards more inclusion in our schools.
  • Finally, I learned a lot about myself as a learner. It's not as easy as it was when I was last in a classroom fifteen years ago! My dominant learning styles of visual and kinesthetic are now disrupted by auditory stimuli -- too many years as a mother listening for the cries of children, I guess. But I've also learned that I am a persistent and goal-oriented learner with enthusiasm and a few techie skills to share.

Yes, this course challenged me in very significant ways! It's been a true learning experience on SO many levels! I stepped into the unknown realm of Assistive Technology just fifteen short days ago, and I am confident that many of my future professional decisions will be shaped by these experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment